Digital Marketing which is also known as Internet Marketing is a way or I should say it is a method through which brands promote their products or services through different digital platforms.
The above line is a simple definition of Internet marketing, however it is not as simple as that, and in today’s blog I will explain you the basic concept of Internet marketing in such a way that you won’t need to read any further article about digital marketing basics in future.
Before we start to talk about digital marketing, we need to know a little about marketing. So let’s talk about marketing.
Table of Contents
- What Is Marketing?
What Is Marketing?
Marketing refers to all activities a company does to promote and sell product or service to their customers.
The above sentence might sound like a bookish language, so let me explain you the definition of marketing in simple terms. Remember the last television commercial which you saw? or the last YouTube ad you saw? yes, that’s what marketing does.
Marketing help brands to achieve their goals, and brands have different goals while doing marketing, it’s not always about increasing the number of sales, sometimes it’s also about brand awareness.
So in very simple terms, marketing refers to the process of promoting a brand or an individual through different channels, it could be through traditional marketing or internet marketing. Now we know what marketing is all about, so let’s jump to our main topic of this blog.
Digital Marketing vs Traditional Marketing
Now we have a fair idea about the concept of digital marketing, and before going deep in our topic, lets take a look how digital marketing is different than traditional marketing.
|Traditional Marketing||Digital Marketing|
|Reach is limited||Reach is maximum|
|Delayed Communication||Instant Communication|
|Lack of real time result||Instant result|
|Poor campaign management||Easy to measure and optimize|
Now we know the difference between both type of marketing, so let’s define a proper definition of Internet marketing.
- Internet Marketing is the act of promoting products or services with the help of digital devices or technology.
So now we have a proper definition of internet marketing, so let’s talk why we need internet marketing or I should say why we should use internet marketing instead of traditional marketing.
Why Internet Marketing?
You must have an idea why we should use internet marketing instead of traditional marketing, so let’s have a look why using internet marketing is beneficial than traditional marketing.
- Reach is maximum – Before going deep about maximum reach, let’s talk about reach, what reach actually means? In very simple terms reach means number of people who have seen your advertisement. If 1000 thousand people have seen your advertisement, then you can say that your advertisement have a reach of 1000.
- Instant Communication– Instant communication is one of the major advantage of internet marketing, let me explain why. Suppose you ran a advertisement on Facebook about your product and a customer want to know more about product then he or she can comment on your advertisement and you can solve or clear your customer query instantly. This is the perfect example of instant communication.
- Real time result– One can get the real time result using internet marketing, but before that let me explain what real time result means. It means you can see the real time result at any moment, you can see the results like reach, conversion, number of clicks and many more matric and those results will help you to understand your customers behavior and patterns and it will help you to improve your campaign.
- Cost Efficient – One can save good amount of money by using internet marketing, you can set a proper budget and accordingly you can run ads on different platforms which is not possible if you promote your product or service through traditional marketing.
Let’s understand this by using an example, suppose you have a product and you want to advertise it and if you choose traditional method such as printing posters or pamphlets then
you might have no idea that how many pamphlets you really need to target your audience but if you choose internet marketing then you have such tools which will help you to know the exact amount of money you need to invest in order to target your audience.
- Easy to reach target audience – This is undoubtedly one of the greatest advantage you would get if you use internet marketing instead of traditional marketing, let me explain how. Suppose you have a product for students who are above 18 years and now you want to advertise your product and with the help of internet marketing you can set all the parameters on which you want to run your ads. You can set that you only want to show this advertisement to student who are above 18 and then your advertisement will only visible to students who are above 18 and you can’t do this thing using traditional marketing.
Types of internet marketing
There are different type of digital marketing , and they are given below
- Email Marketing
- Affiliate Marketing
- Social Media Marketing (SMM)
- Content Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Search Engine Marketing (SEM)
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
I hope this article is helpful for you and if you have any feedback or suggestion for us then feel free to comment below. Thank you for reading this article .
For any kind of digital marketing service you can visit Digital Monkey